SMA Career Achievement Award given in honor of career-long contributions to medical anthropology:
Eileen Basker Memorial Prize given for an extended case study on gender and health:
- Elly Teman, Birthing a Mother: The Surrogate Body and the Pregnant Self. University of California Press, 2010. (Recently reviewed in Somatosphere).
Charles Hughes Graduate Paper Prize:
- Emily Yates-Doerr, “The Weight of the Self: Care and Compassion in Guatemalan Dietary Decisions.”
Polgar Prize given to the “best” article published in the preceding volume of the MAQ:
- Marja-Liisa Honkasalo, “Grips and Ties: Agency, Uncertainty and the Problem of Suffering.” MAQ 23(1): 51-69 (2009).
MASA Graduate Student Mentoring Award:
–SMA Special Interest Group Awards–
Critical Anthropology of Global Health (CAGH) Virchow Awards
- Undergraduate Winner: Dara Carroll, “Power and Dependence: Interactions Between Informal Caretakers and Patients with Mental Illness in Uganda.”
- Graduate Winner: Emily Yates-Doerr, “The Opacity of Reduction: Nutritional Black-Boxing and the Meanings of Nourishment.”
- Professional Winner: Clarence Gravlee, “How Race Becomes Biology: Embodiment of Social Inequality.” American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 139: 47-57 (2009).
Aids and Anthropology Research Group (AARG) Distinguished Service Award:
The Council on Anthropology and Reproduction (CAR)
- CAR Graduate Student Paper Award: Shana Sandberg, “Resisting Intervention, (En)trusting My Partner: Unmarried Women’s Narratives about Contraceptive Use in Tokyo;”
- CAR Best Edited Collection Book Award: Marcia Inhorn, Tine Tjørnjøj-Thomsen, Helene Goldberg, and Maruska la Cour Mosegaard, Reconceiving the Second Sex: Men, Masculinity, and Reproduction. Berghahn Books, 2009.
The Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) Graduate Student Paper Prize
- Laura Jones, “The Medicalization of Menstruation, Hormonal Contraception…and Society.”
Also of interest: