This is the Call for Papers for an international summer school in medical anthropology, taking place at the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Freie Universität Berlin, from July 22nd – July 26th, 2013.
Full CFP can be downloaded here, on Freie Universität Berlin’s website: http://tinyurl.com/
Deadline for abstract submission is July 15th, 2012.
The summer school focuses on “Well-being at the Margins: Seeking Health in Stratified Landscapes of Medicine and Healing.” We invite advanced PhD students and junior scholars to submit abstracts, focusing on one (or more) of the themes addressed in the following panels:
1) Structures of inequality
2) Citizenship and belonging
3) Embodiment of exclusion and insecurity
4) Ethics of researching suffering and inequality
The summer school offers the opportunity to discuss ideas and results with renowned senior scholars and advanced students, and to participate in a number of related activities such as a one-day field-trip and an interdisciplinary round-table discussion. We aim at preparing the papers for publication, either in an edited volume or in a peer-reviewed journal.
Confirmed speakers are:
· Nancy Scheper-Hughes (University of California, Berkeley, USA)
· Vinh-Kim Nguyen (McGill University, Montreal, Canada)
· David Napier (University College London, UK)
· Sylvie Fainzang (Cermes3/Inserm, Paris, France)
· Ian Harper (University of Edinburgh, UK)
· Miriam Ticktin (New School for Social Research, New York, USA)
For questions and queries, please email the organizers at fu.berlin.medanthro@gmail.
Hansjörg Dilger (Freie Universität Berlin, Germany)
Anita Hardon (University of Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Claire Beaudevin (Cermes3/Ifris, Paris, France)
Susann Huschke (Freie Universität Berlin, Germany)
Katerina Ferkov (University of Nova Gorica, Slovenia)
Dominik Mattes (Freie Universität Berlin, Germany)