The Laboratoire d’anthropologie sociale, based at the Collège de France in Paris, will hire a researcher for a one-year post-doctoral contract starting 1st January 2015 to study the perception of animal diseases in Australia.
This position takes part to the project « Social representations of pathogens at the frontiers between species », sponsored by the Axa Research Fund and led by Philippe Descola and Frédéric Keck. The goal of this three-year project is to compare the perception of animal diseases by breeders and health authorities in different parts of the Asia-Pacific area. In the course of this project, three positions will be available: Central Asia, South-East Asia and Australia.
- Applicants must have been awarded a PhD before the start of the contract.
- Language skills and expertise related to the area of concern
- Experience in ethnographic description and comparative theory
- Ability to engage in a collaborative research with publications and participation to scholarly activity
- Knowledge in human/animal relationships and/or medical anthropology would be appreciated
In the framework of this post-doctoral contract, the applicant will :
- Receive a 2100 euros net salary from 1st January 2015 to 31 December 2015
- Benefit from the environment of the Collège de France : high-quality libraries, research seminars and teaching at the centre of Paris.
- Have the financial means to do fieldwork in the area of concern under the tutorship of renowned experts of this field.
- Acquire knowledge on animal diseases and participate to the activities of the team « Relations hommes/animaux : questions contemporaines » (http://las.ehess.fr/document.php?id=663).
- Organize a workshop to maintain the international network of the project created by the launching workshop : « Zoonoses and emergence of new infectious diseases : when biology meets anthropology » http://www.college-de-france.fr/site/philippe-sansonetti/symposium-2012-2013.htm
Candidates must send before September 10 a CV, a sample of writing (article or PhD chapter) and a statement of suitability (less than 3000 words)
Contact : Frédéric Keck – Laboratoire d’anthropologie sociale – 52 rue Cardinal Lemoine – 75005 Paris – frederic.keck@college-de-France.fr